Soldiers and Sailors Monument

Restoration
Courthouse Square, Scranton, PA

The historic Soldiers and Sailors Monument honors Lackawanna County veterans of the American Civil War and is part of the 1.75 acre Veterans Memorial Plaza at Lackawanna County Courthouse Square in downtown Scranton.

Hemmler + camayd architects’ project consisted of the complete restoration/conservation of the (1900) Civil War memorial. The entire 104’-tall monument incorporates a massive 60’ foot high granite column, four beautifully crafted copper-clad sculptures of soldiers and sailors, and a majestic 14’ high bronze sculpture of the “Goddess of Victory”.

The monument occupies a central place within the Veterans Memorial Plaza and has long served as a beloved local landmark.

Construction Cost: $450,000
Completed: Fall 2008